Monday, January 3, 2011

Strength and Conditioning for BJJ - New Year's Day Workout

Now some of you may think I have been replaced with an alien pod person because there are no squats or deadlifts in my New Year's Day workout. I must admit I feel kind of dirty, and this is obviously not the way to propitiously start the new year. I can only hope that I haven't irreparably torn the space/time continuum.

And now for your reading pleasure, a Zen Mojo workout totally devoid of squats and deadlifts:

15 minutes of warmup and upper body activation

This workout started out with a Power phase as the first exercise. Sometimes I work power exercises directly in with the primary Strength exercises (such as a set of Bench immediately followed by Medicine Ball Slams or Plyo/Acceleration Presses of some type or Squats immediately followed by Box Jumps). However today, we start with a straight Power exercise before we do our primary Strength lift. I'm using Power Cleans to a Push Press (Olympic Lifts are great here - I could have done a straight Clean and Jerk or Snatch).

Power Clean/Push Press
   1 x 5 95 lbs
   1 x 3 115 lbs
   1 x 3 135 lbs
   1 x ? 155 lbs (pulled the Clean twice but failed on the press)
   1 x 3 145 lbs (since I missed at 155)

Next I went into 4 rounds of Bench Press - immediately followed by Inverted Rows - immediately followed by Russian Twists (2 minutes rest between rounds)

Bench Press
   Round 1 1 x 5 135 lbs
      Round 2 1 x 5 155 lbs
         Round 3 1 x 5 175 lbs
            Round 4 1 x 1 195 lbs (form was gone by this round so I only put up 1 rep and racked the bar)

Suspension Inverted Rows (feet elevated)
   Round 1 1 x 8 Bodyweight
      Round 2 1 x 6 Bodyweight + 50 lbs vest
         Round 3 1 x 4 Bodyweight + 50 lbs vest
            Round 4 1 x 4 Bodyweight + 50 lbs vest

Seated Russian Twists
   Round 1 1 x 20 25 lbs
      Round 2 1 x 20 25 lbs
         Round 3 1 x 20 25 lbs
             Round 4 1 x 20 25 lbs


Then I finished up with a complex where the bar is loaded (45 lbs plate) on one end and the other end of the bar is shoved into a corner or backstop consisting of 2 x 10 (on each side/arm) of :
   Landmines
   Single Arm Presses

No comments:

Post a Comment