Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Strength and Conditioning for BJJ - What's on Your Plate

Because of the winter storms I was shuttling people around in the snow and didn't get home in time to make it back out to BJJ class this evening. I thought about kicking back and having a beer, but then Spike TV had to show a replay of the Randy Couture-Gabrielle Gonzaga fight.

Having had two different people recently (one a training partner, one an MMA fan) both essentially tell me I was the result of a twisted genetic experiment using DNA from Georges Saint-Pierre and Randy Couture I had to do something in honor of watching Couture's ring domination. (I am sure the comparison was made because we all buzz /shave our heads and that I am slightly under GSP's size and slightly over Couture's age - and not referring to my fighting abilities :-( )

With everyone else in the house asleep, I couldn't bang and clank the heavy weights so I decided to just grab a 45 lbs plate and a 16 kg kettlebell and go to work.

Round 1 looked a lot like the video below (but at a faster pace) - keeping the 45 lbs plate moving for a full 5 minutes without setting it down (other than what is in the video I did tricep extensions, bent over rows, stiff legged deadlifts, goblet squats - all with the plate, and probably several other movements that I can't recall now)




Round 2 consisted of 5 minutes of keeping the kettlebell moving in a similar manner - swings, snatches, russian twists, squats, lunges, suitcase lifts, etc.

Round 3 consisted of 5 minutes of shadow boxing - punches, kicks, shots - and working combinations thereof.

Round 4 consisted of me drinking that beer that I mentioned earlier ;-).


I'm not so sure I see the resemblance ;-),  but if somebody wants to compare me in some way to these two guys - hella yeah I'm going to put it on my blog :-).



No comments:

Post a Comment